Wednesday, June 5, 2019

June 5th

When there is a lack of access to healthcare, the community as a whole can become very unhealthy.  When people aren't able to reach proper healthcare, their health can decline quickly.  In a rural area, there is a huge lack of access to healthcare which we were able to see see first hand over the last several days.  When accidents happen or healthcare is needed quickly, there is almost always a delay.  Nursing staff and other healthcare professionals have to be well trained in how to stabilize patients because their care and skills can make or break a situation while waiting or traveling long distances.  I was able to take away how important it is to think critically and do what you think is best in the situation.  It's so important to make sure your decision is safe for both you and the victim.  Back home I can use all of my skills learned in several different ways.  If I am ever in a situation where I need to stabilize someone and have minimal resources, I will be able to use what is available as I have been trained to make do with what you have.  I will also be able to use it when taking care of a patient in the hospital because sometimes you don't have access to exactly what you need when a crisis is happening and being able to critically think and find fast but safe solutions is important.  I enjoyed learning about medicine within a rural area and especially within the wilderness.  I think these skills could come in handy in all circumstances.  I'm grateful for the knowledge I have gained within the last two days!


1 comment:

  1. This course was so much fun, but also very valuable in helping us learn new techniques for caring for our patients. I'm excited to see how this course will benefit all of us in the future.

    ReplyDelete