The Museum of Appalachia was such an interesting and knowledge filled museum! I think the thing that caught my attention the most was all of the medical equipment and how much it has progressed over the years. It was so neat to see wheelchairs and other assistive devices and where they first started. In my head, I honestly didn't really give them enough credit for all of the different things they used in that time period. I think when I imagine medicine in history, I don't see it as anything like what we use today. However, a lot of the different supplies are very similar to the stuff you would see within healthcare today. It was mind-blowing that they had assistive devices for people with amputations and how much easier these devices probably made things in that time period. I believe that I didn't give them enough credit for just how far along the community was. I enjoyed learning more about the culture and medicine in that time period! The community in the Appalachian mountains only had the resources available to them that were within a short distance, unless they had the means to travel. Their Doctor's office was also very small and had limited resources. The people of Appalachia also believed in herbal treatments and there was a plant for almost every illness. People that live in a Non-Appalachian community may have health disparities similar to being unable to get the resources needed, but are far more likely to have access because of the area they live in. If compared to our area, we are able to go to health departments and free clinics to get the preventative screenings and medicine needed. The Appalachian lifestyle is very different than the lifestyle I live. I am able to seek healthcare easily, drive to get resources needed, and do not have to work a labor job for minimum outcome. I think that Appalachians have to work harder for their food and shelter, have limited access to healthcare, and do much more physical labor as far as their jobs as most of them make a living with their hands. I enjoyed learning about the community and history of the Appalachian Mountains!
Sunday, June 2, 2019
June 2nd
The Museum of Appalachia was such an interesting and knowledge filled museum! I think the thing that caught my attention the most was all of the medical equipment and how much it has progressed over the years. It was so neat to see wheelchairs and other assistive devices and where they first started. In my head, I honestly didn't really give them enough credit for all of the different things they used in that time period. I think when I imagine medicine in history, I don't see it as anything like what we use today. However, a lot of the different supplies are very similar to the stuff you would see within healthcare today. It was mind-blowing that they had assistive devices for people with amputations and how much easier these devices probably made things in that time period. I believe that I didn't give them enough credit for just how far along the community was. I enjoyed learning more about the culture and medicine in that time period! The community in the Appalachian mountains only had the resources available to them that were within a short distance, unless they had the means to travel. Their Doctor's office was also very small and had limited resources. The people of Appalachia also believed in herbal treatments and there was a plant for almost every illness. People that live in a Non-Appalachian community may have health disparities similar to being unable to get the resources needed, but are far more likely to have access because of the area they live in. If compared to our area, we are able to go to health departments and free clinics to get the preventative screenings and medicine needed. The Appalachian lifestyle is very different than the lifestyle I live. I am able to seek healthcare easily, drive to get resources needed, and do not have to work a labor job for minimum outcome. I think that Appalachians have to work harder for their food and shelter, have limited access to healthcare, and do much more physical labor as far as their jobs as most of them make a living with their hands. I enjoyed learning about the community and history of the Appalachian Mountains!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It is amazing to see how far we have come with medical treatments. Can you imagine traveling by horseback throughout the mountains, especially in the night? I can imagine that physicians back in the day never had a moments rest, as so many people spread throughout the mountains depended on them.
ReplyDelete